Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

I tried Fedora 14 64bits on my Pavilion dm4 1160us

I tried the live cd Fedora 14 - xfce. It boots without problem but shortly the screen turns dark (exactly the same problem as Ubuntu 10.10), but it's not possible to turn on the backlight by pressing 'f3'. I suppose the reason is that the login name is required before launching xfce (Is it the same problem with gnome and kde?).

I tried again but I interrupted the initial countdown and I chose the 'basic video' rather the default boot. So now, I saw the three horizontal bars progressing until the dialog box pops up, requiring the login name. Finally xfce started correctly.

I tried the touchpad and I observed the same problems as Ubuntu 10.10: 2 fingers on the pad generate erratic jumps of the pointer, and the right click doesn't work. So Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10 suffer of the same problems concerning the touchpad of the Pavilion dm4.

I tried the wifi too. Like Ubuntu 10.10, the Wifi works perfectly.

And like Ubuntu, the fingerprint reader is not recognized.

My first impression is Fedora 14 and Ubuntu 10.10 are pretty equivalent regarding how the Pavilion dm4-1160 features are supported.


1 comment:

Vyas said...

Any workaround for the dark screen? I use same model of laptop with Ubuntu 10.10